Wednesday, November 9, 2011

tithing blessings

I am grateful for tithing blessings.

I was raised to recognize these blessings in my life, and I am so, so thankful for them. I could recount numerous occasions growing up when we were blessed by paying our tithing. Brand new clothes showing up on our porch. Secret Santas. Anonymous envelopes filled with just enough cash for our groceries that month. So many things happened that strengthened my testimony as a child, then a teenager, as a college student and now, as an adult.

Growing up, my grandma would give us a few dollars for our birthdays. And while I can't remember how much money I got in a given year or what I did with that money, I can vivdly remember what she wrote in the card:

Always remember to pay your tithing.

And I have. I've made it a habit. I'm a full tithe payer, and so grateful that I am.

I know that blessings come from paying tithing to the Lord. And I know that those blessings are real.

Tonight, Brans and I were running errands, and found a long lost gift card in my purse. We decided to splurge for dinner and use the gift card. We ordered our meal, handed the gift card to the cashier and patiently waited for the payment to go through.

But it didn't.
She tried it twice and it didn't work.

My heart sunk. Money has been tight for us since Brans went back to school. We're not living poverty - by any means, but we also don't have much in our "Dining Out" budget allotment.

I knew the total. I knew that we didn't have the money for this, and that we wouldn't be eating out if it weren't for the gift card.

In the course of 5 seconds, I simultaneously thought:
Could I just tell her I changed my mind
and leave empty handed [and empty stomached]?
I guess I have that emergency $20 that I could use.
Maybe I could look up a coupon on my phone really quick...
Maybe I could...

And then the cashier looked up at me and said, "This isn't working..."

I'm not sure if she heard my heart sink. Or my stomach grumble. Or if she could see the panic and disappointment in my eyes. But she continued:

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but I'm having trouble with the gift card. Why don't you just take the meal and enjoy it. Tonight, it's on the house."

I think I stared at her for several seconds with a look of disbelief.

"Really, ma'am. Enjoy your meal."
I wanted to cry. Tears of joy, of course.
"Really?! Thank you so much!"
I squealed like a little girl.
She said I was welcome and to have a great night.

I know it wasn't much. I know it may sound silly. And I know that it's such a little thing that a lot of people would just brush off. It was really just a little bit of money, and a matter of circumstance.

But I am thankful.

Thankful for the girl at the register,
who decided to have a charitable heart today.
Thankful for the warm, delicious meal she gave us.
Thankful for the opportunity to use our gift card another time.

Thankful that I am able to recognize tithing blessings in my life.
Small and large.

But most of all, thankful that our Heavenly Father is watching over us. I'm thankful that He is aware of our circumstances. Thankful that He shows us he cares and loves us. Thankful that he blesses us.

I am so thankful.

4 comments:

*ehu. said...

Thank you for your post today. I've got a talk this coming Sunday on Tithing, so it's nice to read about others' blessings that come from tithing. I'm grateful for those blessings that come from tithing, they're such tender mercies.

Kiley said...

Agreed!

MandiScandal said...

that is such a great story shan!! thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

What a great post on tithing!! Wonderful blessings come in a variety of ways and sizes from being obedient. Thank you for sharing...