Sunday, November 20, 2011

sisters

I am thankful for my sisters.

Yesterday, we spent some time with Kendyll to celebrate her birthday and today we spent time with Pie Face for her birthday. [And we'll celebrate with Brindy in January for hers.]

It took a long time for me to have sisters, and while I was younger, I think I convinced myself that sisters just wouldn't be that great. I didn't have one until I was almost a freshman in high school. And I just thought that since I hadn't gotten one yet, I probably didn't need one. Or two. Or three. Or eleven.

But I was wrong.

When Brindy was born, my world changed. I started paying attention to girl things. I started liking the color pink. Brindy opened the piece of my heart reserved for sisters and it has grown exponentially since.

Then Pie Face was born. Never did I think I would have two sisters. But I did. And they are adorable. Since my sisters are so much younger than me, I have a different relationship with them than I would if I had grown up with sisters. But I don't think I'd trade it.

I love spending time with Brindy and Pie Face. I love being the "cool" older sister. I try to set a good example for them, but really they set the example for me.

Brindy is the sweetest girl in the whole world. I am so thankful for her sensitive, angelic demeanor. I am thankful for her giggle. It is so contagious. I love each and every time I hear it. Lately, we've shared these funny moments together when we'll just look at each other and laugh. No one ever really knows why we're laughing, but there's something so warming to my soul to have that connection to Brindy. I am thankful for her smile. I am thankful for her voice. Brin has the voice of an angel. Hearing her sing melts my heart. She is so talented. I am so grateful for Brindy.

Pie Face is a genius. All of the siblings in my family are smart. Really smart. But even as a toddler, Pie was superiorly smart. Before she could really talk she could turn on the computer and launch our dial-up internet. Tonight, she busted out grammatical rules and told me that "there wasn't a silent 'e' at the end of a word to suggest the 'o' sound at the beginning of the word." Yeah. She's nine. I am so thankful for her intellect. Its amazing to carry on an intelligent conversation with a nine year old. I am thankful for her sass. She's a little sassy pants and she definitely holds her own as the baby of the family. I am so grateful for Pie Face.

And then I married Brans and inherited a new sister.

I was super nervous about having a sister-in-law. Which is funny, since I could potentially have nine, if all of my brothers (and in-laws) get married.

But I couldn't ask for anyone better than Kendyll. Kendyll is beautiful. I remember the first time I met her thinking, wow, she's pretty. Stunningly pretty. She is so giving and welcoming to everyone. I am so thankful for the way she welcomed me into their family and made me feel like I was her sister, not just a girl who happened to marry her brother. I love hearing Kendyll tell stories. I love hearing excitement in her voice each time I talk to her. I am grateful for her laugh. I love hearing her laugh. I am grateful that she includes me in her life. She invites me to hangout with her friends. She calls to tell me funny things her kids do. She keeps me in the loop with things happening with the rest of the family. I am thankful for my friendship with Kendyll, and that I get to call her my sister.

I am so blessed. I am so grateful for my sisters. They bring nothing but joy to my life.

No comments: