Friday, November 18, 2011

chickens

I am thankful for our chickens.

We are currently raising 13 chickens and they are so fun and entertaining.

We have several different breeds, which lay several different colors of eggs. We get green shelled eggs. Pink. Tan. Dark brown. Its like an Easter egg hunt every day.

Each of our chickens have names and I'm pretty sure they respond when I call them.

Sophie.
Hedwig.
Archimedes.
Rosie.
Ruby.
Tina.
Kelloggs.
Dora.
Sully.
Buttercup.
Rocky II.
Pepper.
And She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Yes, we can tell them all apart. Yes, they gather at the gate when they hear the back door open. And yes, I love them. (Though strictly as farm animals. Not pets. They serve a purpose: providing eggs. And apparently, that distinguishes the two.)

I am thankful for the fresh eggs we get every day. I am thankful for the little bit of adventure raising chickens brings into our lives. I am grateful for our chickens.

No comments: