Saturday, November 19, 2011

sports

I am thankful for sports.

While there are certain things about sports that drive me crazy [like greedy athletes. Or the fact that our society encourages athletes to either not go to college and just enter the draft, or even worse, how about quiting and dropping out of college once you've completed 75% of your Bachelor's Degree. Man. I hate that so much.] there are so many things I love about sports.

I love the adrenaline while watching your team in a close game. I love the rules that make each sport different from another. I love the comradery between fans. I [usually] like the friendly batter between rival teams. I love watching sports with Brans and my brothers.

I love the excitement of a 91 yard punt return touchdown.

I love a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th to win the game.

I love a half-court 3 point shot.

I love watching a rugby scrum.

I love referees who make perfectly fair calls.

I am grateful for the entertainment sports provide. I am thankful that at any given time of year there is some sport to be interested in. I am grateful for the bond sports has given me with my brothers. Some of my favorite memories with my brothers have occurred during a sporting event.

Before I went to BYU, my brother Taylor decided to revoke my hugging privileges. [Its a really long story, but basically, I was teasing him one day and he teased me back by saying he wouldn't ever hug me again.] He didn't hug me for two years. Two. Years. Every birthday, Christmas or other significant event or holiday became a begging fest for a hug from Taylor.

I told everyone for my birthday that the only thing I wanted was for Taylor to hug me.

He didn't.

But, one cold November day, in the rivalry BYU vs Utah game, with no time left on the clock and down by five points, John Beck threw a game-winning pass that Jonny Harline caught on his knees in the endzone.

The room we were in erupted. You could probably hear the cheers from miles away. And I will never. n.e.v.e.r. forget what happened next.

Taylor jumped over the couch, did a half-flip/half-cartwheel and landed right next to me on the other side of the room.

And then my privileges were reinstated. He picked me up in a giant bear hug and shook me up and down for what seemed like an hour. When he set me down, I was dizzy. I may have gotten a mild concussion from all the shaking.

My mom, also jumping and cheering, shrieked, "Taylor! You hugged Shanna!" He just shrugged, said, "Well, we won!" and laughed.

I am grateful that sports have brought my family together and provided such wonderful memories and experiences.

And I am grateful that it's just a game.

[But oh, how thankful I am when we win.]

No comments: