Monday, November 7, 2011

hands

I am thankful for my hands.

It's been two months to the day since my surgery.

I still feel less than 100%, [I feel about 75%, in case you were wondering] but also feel really good about the outcome. I lost a lot of strength in my hands and wrists, and it's been hard to get all of that back. I know it will come with time and energy, so I'm trying hard and trying to be patient.

I've always been grateful for the things my hands could do. But lately, I've been able to truly appreciate all of the little things that make those other things possible.

I'm grateful for 10 working, limber [although short] fingers. I'm grateful for wrists that bend. I'm grateful for the muscles and tendons and ligaments in my hands that make movement possible. I am grateful for the skin on my hands that has proven to heal itself so quickly.

I'm also thankful for the many talents I have been able to express through my hands. Heavenly Father sure blessed me with so many ways to use my hands, and I'm so grateful for all of them. I'm grateful that I am able to play the piano. I'm grateful that I was able to teach myself to play the organ. I'm grateful that I can write, with pretty legible handwriting. I'm thankful that I can cook extravagant meals. I'm grateful I can make and decorate beautiful cakes. I am thankful that I can hold my husband's hand. I'm thankful that I can type. I am thankful that I can create things with paper. I'm grateful I can sew patches on Brans' Scout uniform. I am grateful for so many wonderful thing that my hands can do! [truthfully, the list could go on for days...]

I am thankful for my hands. I am thankful for the things they can do - both noticed and unnoticed.

I am thankful that God made it possible for my hands to be fixed when they were broken.

I have so many things to be thankful for.

1 comment:

Kiley said...

I'm grateful for your hands too! Such short, wonderful fingers you have :)!