Monday, November 14, 2011

dictionary

I love the Dictionary.

And I am grateful that there are so very many words. I love words. I love the sound of words. I love writing words. I love reading words. I love spelling words. And I am thankful that all of those wonderful words can be found in one place.

In a musical I saw a few years ago, a little girl is a finalist in a Spelling Bee and she sings a song about her best friend: the Dictionary.

I love my Dictionary
And I love the indented border
Every word's in alphabetical order
Ergo, lost things always can be found

And I wrap my head around the fact that in one book
Is the entire language of our species
Which is a favorite term of Nicci's
Who's the great-grandfather of Christina Ricci's
(hee hee hee)

Yes, I joke, but the words in the Dictionary
Are the friends that I'll have forever
More than the friends I have made in school

My friend, the Dictionary
Is a very reliable friend

I love this song. I, too, love the Dictionary, and consider it a very reliable friend.

I love the Dictionary. I love learning new words. I love reading all of the definitions of words I think I know and learning something new.

I am grateful God gave us a way to communicate with each other. I am grateful that there are so many words we can use to communicate - so many beautiful, wonderful, eloquent words.

And I am thankful for the Dictionary, the one book that contains the entire language of our species.

And that it's in alphabetical order.
Obviously.

1 comment:

*ehu. said...

I'm so thankful that someone else loves dictionaries too! I keep one in my night stand drawer. Never know when you're gonna need the definition of a word! :)