Monday, November 28, 2011

music

I am thankful for music.



My life has always revolved around music.

As a little girl, I would play outside and make up songs, singing while I twirled, or on a swing, or even just laying in the grass.

When I turned 5, I started piano lessons. I easily learned how to read music, and have been sight-reading ever since.

I played the violin for a year, and the flute after that.

In 7th grade, my accompanying career began, when I was recruited by the music teacher, Mr. Ulmer to accompany Mixed Chorus, an elite group of 9th graders. [Yes. This did make me feel super cool.] I can't even count how many times I've accompanied a choir or a soloist, or a quartet, or... the list goes on for ever. I am thankful for Matt Ulmer and the foresight he had to give a 13 year old girl a chance to grow and develop a talent. I learned so much during the three years I accompanied his choirs.

I was called as the Ward Organist when I was 13, taught myself to play, and have enjoyed the calling ever since. It's strange to think it's been over ten years since then...

My sophmore year in high school, the jr. high hired me to play the piano in the orchestra pit for the school musical, Les Miserables. They paid me $800 dollars. I remember Gramps thought this was the most amazing thing. It made my heart soar to hear him brag to the rest of the family that the school was paying me, his granddaughter, to play the piano. A few years later, the high school hired me to play for Beauty and the Beast. I am grateful for these opportunities and remember them fondly.

I started teaching piano lessons as a junior in high school.

I aced the AP Music Theroy test my senior year of high school.

I memorized Rhapsody in Blue by George Gershwin.

I played musical numbers for several General Authorities and local Dignitaries.

I wrote, arranged and recorded two-CDs worth of piano solos.

I received a music scholarship to BYU and spend my freshman year of college working on credits for a piano performance major.

Then my life took a little turn and I got Carpal Tunnel. Parts of me were devastated, but my love for music remained. I rationed my practicing and no longer played through the pain, but continued to deepen my knowledge and appreciation for music.

And now, I work in the music industry. Really, there isn't a more perfect job for me.


So many of my memories are associated with music. Choir Festivals and Tours. The songs I've accompanied. The friends I made. The lessons I learned. And I am so grateful for each of those memories.

But mostly, I'm thankful for the love of music instilled in my soul from my parents. My favorite memories with my family revolve around music.

Mom singing me to sleep as a child.
Riding in the back of the car, changing the words to "Open Arms" with Austin to be about a skier with Broken Arms.
Family musical numbers in church.
The low rumble of my dad's deep voice when he sings.
Singing "Armies of Helaman" at Taylor's missionary farewell.
Switching alto and tenor parts with Bryson.
Belting out Ben Folds songs with Brindy.
Playing Christmas duets with my brothers.
... so, so, so many more.


Music is sacred to me.
Music says things that words can't.
Music expresses emotions that would otherwise be locked away.
Music is the food of my soul.


I am so grateful for music and for the influence it has had on my life.

I am so full of thanks for a mother who never let me quit piano lessons. Who passed her love for music on to me. Who encouraged me. Who sang to me. Who loved the music I played.

I am thankful for the sweetness music provides, and for the spiritual journey it creates for me. Nothing invites the spirit like music. Nothing.

I am so thankful for music.

No comments: