Wednesday, February 3, 2010

losing track

Remember that one time when it was still January? Ooh, better yet - Remember that one time when it was still November?

Yup. Pretty sure I'm losing track of time. It's already February, and that blasted groundhog saw his shadow yesterday. (Though, I must admit that I think the whole "Groundhog's Day" thing is a crock. Really? We determine the coming of spring with a rodent? I mean, come on. Really?!) The weather has been feeling a lot like early March instead of early February, and is making my ache for spring that much more. I'm totally in the mood for spring cleaning, blossoms on our trees and light-jacket weather. Granted, I have some cute winter coats. But I feel that their seasonal usage should come to a close rather quickly.

I've decided I'm blaming the loss of time tracking on my job. Just when I think things will die down... they don't. The holidays were so crazy with work [insert gratitude for having a job here], I barely had time to think about Christmas until it was knocking on my door in the form of in-laws and Santa Claus. (Don't be confused... I don't think my in-laws and Santa Claus are the same. Come on - everyone knows that Santa Claus doesn't knock on the door!) So December flew by in a flash. And now January is gone too. What even happened in January? I can't recall...

Work... Piano lessons... Playing the organ in Stake Conference (super intimidating - though I received several compliments.)... A few encounters with friends (though definitely not as many as there should have been)... And an almost-failure of attempted resolutions. (I swear I'm trying. But it's just so hard to follow through on resolutions when you have no concept of the time flying by. How am I supposed to try to be a better person when January barely existed for like three days?)

And now its February. At work, we're already working on summer and fall products - so this part of me keeps thinking it just might be summer. You know, when I'm sitting at my desk, listening to John Mayer, with no windows in sight reminding me of the inversion and 30 degree temperatures outside. And for a minute I think it might just be warm when I walk outside.

And then... Failure. I leave the building to run an errand or grab lunch and am reminded that - oh yeah, it's still winter. The worst part of winter, too. The part of winter when the air is so awful it burns your throat just to breathe. The part of winter when the only thing to look forward to is spring. No Thanksgiving or Christmas to make winter acceptable. Yup. That part of winter. The part of winter called "February."

Granted, lots of great things happen in February:
My parents anniversary. My dad's birthday. Valentines Day. Hiring a new person in the music department to help relieve a little of the madness. A potential new piano student. A girls night with Kendyll and Shaylyn. So close to March Madness. All of my favorite tv shows are in full swing. Its the 2 year anniversary of when I decided that marrying Branson would be the best decision ever.

See? Lots of good things. I need to focus more on those. And I will. As for those resolutions - I'm still hoping February proves more successful that January.

Please bless that February doesn't fly by as quickly as the last few months.

1 comment:

Kendyll said...

I feel the exact same. Where did the whole month go? Most of what I remember is my worst moments of screaming at my children when I'd lost all patience. On the other hand I do have a little girl that's getting bigger by the second. I can't believe how the time flies. I guess here's to more (good) memories in the month ahead.