Monday, September 17, 2012

day of japanese

Did you know that today is one of my very favorite days, and one of the best Holidays?


Did you know that it's been 29 years since my dad returned home from his mission to Sendai, Japan?


Did you know that I always eat too much on Japanese Day? It's like a pre-pre-Thanksgiving meal. Except, there's no turkey, and it's still warm outside. But we are grateful on Japanese Day, just like we are on Thanksgiving.

Grateful that my dad made the decision to serve a mission.
And grateful for the amazing example he is.

I bet you didn't know my dad is tougher than Chuck Norris...
And that he's a fantastic cook...


But more importantly...

My dad has an amazing testimony and is the most worthy priesthood holder that I know. He is incredible. 

I'm so grateful he served an honorable mission, serving in a foreign land, reminding our brothers and sisters in Japan that Jesus Christ loves them and that families can be together for eternity. I'm grateful for his testimony of the Book of Mormon and that he so freely shared it with me while I was young. 


I'm so thankful that my dad's mission was so important to him. It's so fun to celebrate his mission every year. It's my favorite family tradition. There's something incredible that happens when you realize  that what is so important to your family and those you love is also so very important to you. There's no doubt in my mind that celebrating Japanese Day every year played a role in my brothers deciding to serve missions of their own. And now we also celebrate Boise Day (Brans), Toronto Day (Austin), Chilean Day (Chad) and Manchester Day (Taylor) - In about 8 months, we'll celebrate Belgian Day (Blake) and in just under two years from now, we'll celebrate Micronesia Day (Bryson). [We need to start celebrating German Day for Branson's dad... Goulasch? Rouladen? Eis und Heiss? Yum.]

I love missionaries! I'm so glad so many members of my family have chosen to serve. I'm blessed to be a part of such a great missionary heritage.

Happy Japanese Day!

1 comment:

Kiley said...

I LOVE that you guys do that!