Tuesday, January 24, 2012

twelve things

one.
Today, my sister Brindy turns twelve. 12! I can hardly believe it. I remember the day she was born like it was yesterday. It really makes me feel old that she's now officially in Young Women. How did this happen? It seems like she's still 8 years old to me. But I have loved watching her grow, and am delighted at the young women she is becoming. She is so incredibly sweet and caring. And so very beautiful. I love her. Happy Birthday, Brin!

two.
As always, my life at work has been busy. In the past year, we've hired on more people, which should have lightened the load. But, it seems that the more people we get, more is expected of us. While I like the people I work with and the projects I work on, the stress level has started to wear on me. I need to be better at finding a balance.

three.
It's amazing how routine our lives are. This month, Brans and I have fallen back into our work, school, piano lessons, scouts, dinner, sleep, repeat way of life. While I love the predictability, I think a little piece of me is ready for some sort of adventure. Something to shake things up. Any good ideas?

four.
I miss my brothers. At school, on missions... I miss them. They are such good kids. And we have so much fun together.

five.
My hair is the same length it was in high school (record long). I've been contemplating what to do with it, but just can't bring myself to cut it. I think I'll regret it. But, the standby ponytail, braid and leaving it straight have become super boring. I need new cute dos that don't take much time.

six.
The other night, Brans made me watch "Warrior" - it's a movie about fighting, you know, for sport. I'm not a big fan of fighting or boxing, or other "sports" that involve two men in a ring hitting each other, so I was skeptical about this movie. But holy. cow. I loved it. It was surprising fantastic. I may or may not have cried towards the end. Moving story. I highly recommend it.

seven.
I have yet to join the Pinterest band wagon. Everyone keeps talking about it and I keep seeing people post about it all the time, but I just don't have the time. And I'm afraid I'll become obsessed and addicted.

eight.
It's been about four and a half months since my Carpal Tunnel Surgery. I feel pretty good about it still. I would say percentage-wise, I'm at 90%, though I feel like I've been at 90% since November. It has just taken a while for my strength to return. There's not really any more pain. And my scars are fading. And I haven't broken or dropped a single glass! But I still feel weak. But it's coming back. Slowly and surely.

nine.
A project I worked on at my job was recently nominated for a Grammy. Pretty cool, huh? It's actually really cool. And a really, really big deal. I was invited to attend the Grammy's, and while it would be awesome, we just can't afford it. But I feel super honored to even be invited. Add that to my resume: help produce and release a Grammy-nominated album. Check.

ten.
I have found myself missing that traditional Utah winter lately. We've hardly had any snow this season, much to my dismay. I love winter. I love the white blanket that covers the hibernating green. It just hasn't really come yet. The few - very few - times it has actually snowed at our house, the longest it has stuck around was a day or two, and then back to the dreary grey/brown. No thank you. I want snow. A big, heavy, beautiful white blanket of snow. But it needs to hurry, because I only tolerate snow until February 20.

eleven.
One of my favorite things lately has been recreating my journal. I used to be a write daily or at least once a week journal writer before Branson and I met. Upon our meeting, I still tried to document events, but my recordings became fewer and far between. (I blame him. He took up all of my time.) And since we've been married, I've been a total slacker. I have things written on sticky notes, and emailed to myself, but not everything in one place. So I've made it  a goal to compile all of those little notes into a real life journal. It has been fun reflecting on things that happened to me so many years ago.

twelve.
My goals for 2012 all center around being better. While I feel like I've already let a few slip, there are others that I feel I'm excelling at. Even though goals and resolutions seem to fade through out the year, I really do love the fresh start to each year, and the opportunity to really focus on how we can improve over the next twelve months. Here's hoping this year's goals stay in focus all year long.

4 comments:

Kiley said...

I love it! Way to go on the Grammy nomination! And the hair - beautiful! You could always put it up in a bun, just like the every-day do of your very fashion-conscious cousin . . . :).

Erica said...

Love your blog, Shan. And yes, Pinterest IS addicting. But it is lovely. So many good ideas. So when/if you do, have fun! :o)

Anonymous said...

http://www.cutegirlshairstyles.com
might have some hairstyles that don't take too much time.

Josh and Chels said...

shanna, the best advice I give people who have long hair and feel bored with it is to try a new style one step at a time, start out with some long layers, then medium lenth with some more layers, then a long bob, then an a line. Not saying you have to go this far, but you can do a little at a time til you find a stage you like and is fun and easy for you! Lets get together soon!