Wednesday, July 15, 2009

scouts

brans went to scout camp last week. not just any scout camp - a six day venture up to bear lake.

i interupt this posting to clarify my stance on scouting, for a moment...
ahem. i am fully supportive of the boy scouts of america. i even participated in cub scouts as a young girl. yes, cub scouts. not girl scouts. please don't be confused. (this may be in large part because i was the only girl in the neighborhood, and my mom was the den mother. and i didn't want to feel left out. but it served me well. at yw camp, i set the record for starting a fire the quickest - 2.7 seconds - with only flint and steel. and i may or may not have held the title of best knot tie-er in the land.) i have helped two of my brothers earn their eagle. i even help with scout fundraisers every year - from putting up flags at 6:00am on the 4th of july to spending a little too much money at our troop's silent auction. but all in support of a good cause. see, i am quite in favor of the scouting program.

i am all for supporting branson in his calling as assistant scout master. i continue my support through monthly overnight campouts - yes, monthly. as in once a month. twleve times a year. i'm still a little bitter about the christmas campout... why? why do you have to take fourteen scouts and their leaders away for a weekend the week before christmas? is there a valid reason? is it imperative to being a scout? i have a very strong argument that it is not. but i digress. i buck up and handle a night on my own once a month (ok, so maybe i stay with a friend, or have a sleepover with my sisters... but that is not the point.) but a six day camp about killed me.

literally, k i l l e d me.

in the two years and some months that i have known branson, the longest amount of time that we have been away from each other has only been a few days. even when he went home for the holidays - it was only about three or four days that i didn't see him, but we talked on the phone for several hours to bridge the gap.

so, a six day scout camp with basically no communication (he called me one night and the conversation went like this: "hey shan! my phone's almost dead but i just wanted to call and say i lov----" dead. so really, no communication) was a really, really, r e a l l y long time.

oh, don't worry - i survived. but just barely.

in the time he was gone, i got done several loads of laundry, had a few girl's nights, felt the most sick i have ever felt, encountered a rat in our backyard, drank sour milk and almost threw up, got nearly ran off the road by a bus, stayed late at work a few nights, and didn't sleep very well.

now, i'm not asking for a pity party - i know many have it far worse. like wives of men in the military. or single mothers. or widows. or michael jackson's children - but truthfully, i had a hard time with it. why the camp had to be six days is beyond me. i think a four day camp would suffice.

branson returned home safely... and tan. and he had a great time. which i'm grateful for.

but next time, scouters, can you please not keep my husband for so long?
thanks.

5 comments:

Kiley said...

Shan - you ought to be a column writer for the newspaper or something. I love it! I feel your pain (although I've never experienced something so extreme). I'm sorry for your lonely week, but glad you have your sweetheart back!

P.S. I'm excited to see you on Saturday!

A said...

I think scouting is a very very good thing, and I think its hilarious that you were a cub scout. Thats way cool. However 6 Days would kill me and I'm sure a few mom's missed their sons too. However, that seems a VERY long time for a scout camp.

Christie said...

I feel your pain too.. and I don't sleep well when Russ is away either!

Lauren Davison said...

A campout EVERY MONTH!? I'm with you on that one... A little bit overkill. Especially the week before Christmas...

Frances said...

can I just say.... I miss talking to you!