Friday, November 14, 2008

love story

right now brans is probably shivering in his mummybag in a tent somewhere in the mountains...
.
i am not jealous even in the slightest.
.
i only wish he were home, shivering in our big, cold house with me. its lonely, and super cold here all by myself.
.
well, that's not entirely true... i've had quite a lot of company tonight. my bro t-ca$h picked me up from trax after work and stayed and hung out with me for an hour or so. stu came over and got a haircut. my mom called and asked if chinese sounded good for dinner - my response was "obviously... when does chinese not sound good for dinner?" and twenty minutes later the whole crew was here. grandma, mom, daddy, tay, bdawg, tan man, weasel, brindy and pie face came to have dinner with me. it was great!
.
but it gets better: my aunt jan and cousins aubrey and eliza came over... i really wanted to perfect roll making, so i went to the best roll maker i know - aunt jan. we had a little 1-on-1 and thanks to a few tricks of the trade, i made delicious rolls! (i ate 4... ok 5. but i did save some for branson... well... we'll see what time he gets home tomorrow. wink)
.
so my roll in thanksgiving this year seems a little less daunting - making rolls for your in-laws thanksgiving... only a little intimidating. because lets be honest, what would ruin your first thanksgiving with your in-laws than awful rolls? ok, well, no turkey/mashed potatoes or awful pies... my other assignment. pies and rolls.
.
i'm not complaining - i love making pies. in fact, i love making pies so much, i may have stayed home for one too many physical science classes at byu to make pie instead... oops. well, i don't regret it.
.
its just that, i really try to aim to please. and for the most part, i think i do alright. but that little perfectionist piece wants to sit down to thanksgiving dinner with everyone, say a prayer full of grace and then just sit and wait...
.
oh, and i'll wait as long as it takes...
.
"mmmm! who made these rolls? they are fantastic! toss me another..."
.
music to my ears... i'm picturing the dinner scene in while you were sleeping when the mom says "these mashed potatoes are sooo creamy..." its that tone and type of reaction i'm dying to hear.
.
so i'm practicing. and they are going to be perfect.
.
truth be told, my pies do not need polishing. i've made enough pies to last a life time, other than the fact that you can never have too much pie. and soon, my rolls will be every bit as scrumptiously delicious as my pies.
.
impressive in-law thanksgiving, here i come!
.
but in the meantime, i'm missing my husband. in the 5 1/2 months we've been married, this is the first night he hasn't been here. *sniff* i'll be ok. i just miss him like c r a z y !
.
hopefully he's warm - or as warm as you can be camping in the winter. seriously, whoever thought of that idea was crazy. i know, i know, the pioneers did it - without mummybags, mind you... and without coats and shoes. yeah well, not to belittle their sacrifice, because i truly am grateful for it. but i was born in the time of automatic heat. and fleece blankets. and down comforters. and space heaters. and fireplaces... for a reason. call my whimpy, but i like being warm. and sleeping on the ground in a bag of material when there's snow outside - i'm just not seeing the appeal.
.
oh, i'll go camping. in july. camping is a summer activity.
.
but i digress.
.
i miss my brans-y wans-y...
lets pretend i didn't just call him that.
.
i miss my wonderful companion. its times like this that i remember just exactly how much i love him and am so grateful that i was guided in my decisions that lead me to him. when i close my eyes i can see his face the first time we talked. his eyes lit up a little, and he came right over to where i was sitting on the ground. i can remember exactly how i felt the first time it was "just the two of us" hanging out. and all the times i waited and waited for that first kiss; and how his lips felt on mine when that moment finally happened. i can picture his smile when we said "i love you". how he held me so tight, i didn't think he would ever let go.
.
i'm listening to taylor swift's song love story... the last chorus says:
.
marry me, juliet, you'll never have to be alone
i love you and that's all i really know
i talked to your dad, go pick out a white dress
its a love story, baby, just say yes
.
.
that's what i'm in - a love story. and taylor swift got it right - i'll never have to be alone... i love brans and that's all i really know (well, obviously i know other things too... like how to make a perfect pie, and soon to be award-winning rolls...) but i said yes and we are right at the heart of a beautiful love story. and i am could not be happier about it!
.
.
so, my darling branson, wherever the freezing cold you are:
.
i love you.
and i'm so glad you're mine.
come home safe.
i'll have warm rolls waiting for you...
just don't come home sick.
but if you do, i'll gladly take care of you.
i'll even make homemade chicken noodle soup,
with homemade noodles to go with said warm rolls.
and i'll keep you warm and nurse you back to full health.
why? you ask?
well, because, i am your princess.
and this is our fairy tale.
but most importantly, because i love you.
.
so be safe. stay warm. and sleep well.
goodnight.
.
i love you.
.
love,
your little button

3 comments:

Kiley said...

What a love story!

Shan - your rolls are going to be amazing! That's my assignment too - I just hope mine are as good as yours!

P.S. I am kind of craving a shanna-pie right now!

Lauren Davison said...

Dear Shanna.
I would like to learn your wonderful roll secrets. I love rolls. And haven't really ever made my own, but nothing beats homemades. Only problem--I don't have a kitchen-aid or whatever to mix the dough. But either way you are now required to make me an expert!

Love, Lauren

Brossettelewis said...

How sweet, you're seriously so blessed. Good luck with the rolls! :)