Wednesday, September 23, 2009

an extra hour

i am in desperate need of some extra time.

seriously, folks... Desperate. with a capital d.

its been a super busy year (and it's only september... oh boy.) with weddings, work and family parties galore. not to mention remodeling parts of our house, birthday celebrations and just trying to keep up with life.

i must admit the keeping up with life part has been mildly neglected at times... i have dishes and laundry to prove it. you'd think that two people can't generate that many clothes or dishes in a week. but i just can't seem to catch up. i like to blame it on the fact that i'm at work for 9-10 hours everyday and then come home and make dinner. and then there's just not enough time. some nights i teach piano lessons. some nights we have plans to go out. but most nights, i'm just tired.

dead. beat. tired.

lame excuse? perhaps. blah, blah, everyone is busy... yeah i know. but seriously. i think i could enter a contest. and probably land in the top 5. depending on the time of year, maybe the top 3.

and i'm starting to realize that maybe i have a problem with being too eager at times. and maybe... i said maybe... overestimating my capabilities. regarding the first, as mentioned before, i really love helping people. a lot. i love feeling like i've done some good and accomplishing something. and even better when that accomplishment benefits someone else. so any chance i get, i jump (sometimes literally) to help. however, sometimes, i probably take on too much. i let my ego get the best of me and i am convinced that i can do it... because, why can't i? i don't like being told that i can't do something. so i try, and try. and sometimes try some more until i've aced the talent at an adequate, though not perfect, level of proficiency. so i stretch myself until i can't handle any more. and then i strech some more and take on more responsibilities. because i just can.

but enough of that. because what it boils down to is that i just don't have enought time to be good at everything. time...
time. time. time. time. time.

i just need a few more hours every day. just a few less hours that i need to sleep... which brings me to my nest tangent: in high school, i had insomnia. i survived with minimal sleep every night. sometimes i would get 2 hours of sleep. sometimes i would get less. on a really good night, i'd get 4 full hours of sleep. but i had so much energy and always felt productive. probably because i did so many things at night with the time most people spend sleeping. i would read - sometimes a whole book in one night. (cough cough harry potter cough cough) i would write songs, listen to talks, do homework, exercise - so many things. its amazing what you can do when you don't sleep. but i've found that the older i get, and maybe the more "grown up" i become, the more sleep i need. not get. need. i need to have 7-8 hours of sleep. my body just won't wake up until i've reached that minimum. i try to wake up... but it's just so hard. so i've resorted to going to bed early. earlier than i even had to be home for curfew in high school. and let me tell you - that's pretty early. i'm like an old woman. i have arithritis, i can tell when the weather is going to change by the ache in my joints, and i go to bed early.

i swear i'm only in my twenties. promise.

my point is, that i need just an extra hour or two. even 60 minutes that don't just fly on by.

sixty minutes
.
there are so many things that can be done in sixty minutes.
one load of laundry from start to finish.
wash and dry and put away all the dishes from dinner.
an excellent cardio workout.
watching an episode of one of the following:
the west wing
psych
alias
house
fringe
arrested development
and a few others
reading a good portion of a great book
taking a walk

oh, the possibilities!

but alas... there are only 24 hours in a day. jack bauer has drilled that into our heads more times than one. seven, to be precise.

i digress. i need to figure out how to manage my time better. maybe that will make my busy schedule ... not... so... busy...?

who am i kidding?

still, i'm desperate for an extra hour...

7 comments:

Leigh said...

Glad you spent an hour with Glee tonight. Be like me, get a DVR and only spend 45 minutes with Glee!

Oh and could you take on a bunch of projects for me at work? I know how much you love to help :)

Frances said...

i tries once to put in a petition for another day in the week..... sadly it didn't take.

I'm right there with you. love/hate relationships are always the most confusing... not to mention exhausting

Jason & Lizzy said...

I totally feel you Shanna!!! In high school and even before I got married I did great on 4 hours of sleep and oh how I wish I could go back to that right now. Hope things slow down some for you. Good Luck!

Teresa said...

just wait until you have kids, you'll need more than one hour, yet somehow the important things get done and the rest just fall by the side of the road where they belong. I have decided if we all had an extra hour we would still wish for one more, so I guess we just need to enjoy all the hours we have, even when we are busy. Sorry life is so busy!

paxtonfam said...

You think you're tired now? Wait till you have kids, then you'll REALLY know tired when you're feeding your son at 4am and then leaving for work at 7am just to do it all over again the next day. Sounds like you're accomplishing a lot though :)

Sarah said...

Hey gal....love the selection of viewing options....makes me smile!

So I have solution to your problem...call your dear friend Sarah and ask her to do you some favors so you can have an hour to yourself. I'll expect a call within the next 48 hours telling me what I can do to help you. If the call doesn't come, I'll know we aren't really friends.....so....decide what I can do to help and pick up the phone so you will get at least 60 minutes to yourself....and don't blow me off because you know I am a good grudge-holder.... :) what are you waiting for - I'm already counting?!

Kiley said...

Oh, good luck, Shan. I hope you feel better - but I agree. So many possibilities in an extra hour - especially if it were kid-free. How nice would that be?